Friday, April 15, 2005

How terribly strange to be seventy !!!

Have you ever wondered, what it feels like when you are old (well..its still a long way to go for me, I am just 26..duh..) , sitting and talking about your past memories to your friend(s)!!! I cant even imagine how it will be! Will I ever live till 70 and even if I do, I definitely can't tell how it would feel like, zimbly bcos I dont even want to think about getting older.... But my friends, Paul Simon wrote a poem, even composed a wonderful tune for that, about two old friends meeting at a park, which I can listen any number of times and anytime of the day...
Why not.. I zimbly loeve the songs of Simon & Garfunkel... All Hail 'Tom and Jerry'.. yes.. they were called 'Tom and Jerry' for their love-hate relationship :-o) .. They split up 20 yrs back and recently they joined forces and performed at Grammy's and they do some occasional tours.. tickets are so damn expensive that you can forget about buying them.

Coming back to getting old.. this is da song.. that Paul Simon wrote about two old friends....

Old Friends (2:35) P. Simon, 1968

Old friends, Old friends
Sat on their park bench
Like bookends
A newspaper blown through the grass
Falls on the round toes
Of the high shoes Of the old friends

Old friends
Winter companions, The old men
Lost in their overcoats
Waiting for the sunset
The sounds of the city Sifting through the trees
Settle like dust
On the shoulders Of the old friends

Can you imagine us years from today
Sharing a park bench quietly?
How terribly strange to be seventy
Old friends
Memory brushes the same years
Silently sharing the same fear...

and follow it up with ....

Bookends Theme (1:23) P. Simon, 1968

Time it was, and what a time it was, it was
A time of innocence, a time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you

I highly recommend that you hear this song. Its the song from their album titled 'Bookends'. Its just a beautiful song that will bring immense joy as well as sorrow (bcos you will be 70 one day.. :-o))..

4 comments:

Subash said...

Hello Prasanna!

How are you and how is your work? Ram's Den looks very neat. Even I am a fan of Tom and Jerry, both the musicians and the cartoon. One of my all time favourite is 'Homeward Bound'.

SPICMACAY in TAMU seems to have lost steam. Any plans of PhD at TAMU? May be you can revive SPICMACAY :).

Take care
Subash

Sriram said...

Haha,, good thought Phd and taking care of SPICMACAY eh?? Well i dunno about my Phd plans or my Plans itself. I just seem to walk along the road without any plans. Sometimes it looks like its a straight road and sometimes like a crossroads. That reminds me, I have to go get Eye power checked. been a long time :-o). anyways thanks for your comments. Keep it flowing. So What are you upto now? Hows life?

Anonymous said...

why did u suddenly feel like talking 'old'? did u suddenly become of age?
or justplain Zimply?

vinu

bharath said...

what came to my memory was the 'when i am 64' song by the beatles.

u doing good?

thatha unakka vayasaala? ;p